In this competition, houseguests look through an area for letters. One at a time, they must bring them back to their board. Once brought back to their board, they must spell a word out and try to achieve the longest, correctly spelled word, which will be revealed one at a time. Since Big Brother 17, each letter was assigned a point value, so instead of the longest word, the contestants need to come up with a word with the highest point value.
If there is a tie, the houseguest who did it the quickest will win.
The following season, Big Brother 13, was the competition's next appearance. Brendon Villegas once again won the competition, winning his first PoV of that season. He used the exact same word as he used in the previous season.
List of Spelling Competitions
|11||1||Pop Goes the Veto!|
|12||1||"Cinco de Mayo"|
|15||1||"The American Baking Competition"|
|16||1||"Miami Lice"|| |
|1||6||"The Four Sneezins Spiritual Spa"|| |
|2||6||"Yukan Gold"|| |
- Brendon Villegas is the only person to win this competition twice.
- This competition is most commonly used during the first week.
- Seasons 13 and 18 are the only seasons to not have this competition in the first week.
- Shannon Elizabeth holds the record for the longest spelled word to win this challenge: Responsibilities.
- Shannon is also the first, and currently only, woman to win this competition.