United States & Canada
The Power of Veto allows the owner to remove one of the Nominations from the Nomination Block. The Power of Veto also guarantees the holder safety should one of the nominees be removed unless he or she is the only possible replacement nominee. The Head of Household chooses a new nomination.
The Power of Veto is won weekly in a competition. Six houseguests compete for the Power of Veto: the Head of Household, the two nominees, and three other houseguests chosen by the three guaranteed players (until Big Brother: All-Stars) or a random draw. Powers of Veto may be won under rare occurrences besides competitions, namely as a prize to come from Pandora's Box.
The Powers of Veto
Silver Power of Veto
The Silver Power of Veto, used in Big Brother 3, allowed the winner to remove one nominee off the Nomination Block if he or she so desired. However, the winner of the Silver Power of Veto could not remove him or herself off the Nomination Block. If the Veto were used, the HOH would select the replacement nominee.
Golden Power of Veto
The Golden Power of Veto was the final Veto introduced at the end of Big Brother 3 and has been used in every succeeding season. The Golden Power of Veto allowed the winner to remove one nominee off the Nomination Block if he or she so desired, including themselves. If the Veto were used, the HOH would select the replacement nominee.
Diamond Power of Veto
The Diamond Power of Veto was introduced as the final Veto of Big Brother 4 and was essentially identical to the Golden Power of Veto, only if the winner chooses to use it, they will name the replacement nominee rather than the HOH. It was used by Alison Irwin to save herself from the threat of eviction. Erika Landin was the only possible replacement as Jun Song was already up on Nomination Block and Robert Roman was the Head of Household. The Diamond Power of Veto was reintroduced in Big Brother 12 and awarded to Matt Hoffman as a gift from Pandora's Box. A week later, when he was up for eviction, he used it on himself and nominated Kathy Hillis as the replacement. It was a choice for America's Care Package during Week 3 of Big Brother: Over The Top, but was not selected by Scott Dennis. It later appeared as an option for fans to choose in Celebrity Big Brother 1 (US). Once again, it was not selected.
Other Types of Veto
- Black Hole Power of Veto
- Boomerang Power of Veto
- Double Power of Veto
- Forced Power of Veto
- Secret Power of Veto
- Golden Ball of Veto
- VIP Veto
The Power of Veto Contestant Selection
When the Power of Veto was first introduced on Big Brother 3, every houseguest was eligible to compete. Starting in Big Brother 5, the Head of Household and the two nominees each got to select one player of their choosing to compete alongside them in the Power of Veto competition. The Head of Household selects the first player. Since Big Brother: All-Stars, the HOH and the two nominees still compete, but rather than selecting their own players, each would reach into a bag filled with ping pong balls or small discs (depending on the season) with a houseguest's name or the words "Houseguest's Choice", where the player who draws the ball or disc gets to choose the additional player. In Big Brother 15, Big Brother 18, Big Brother: Over The Top, and Big Brother 19, due to there being three nominees, the HOH drew two names to determine the six Veto competition players. The six houseguests later play in a competition to determine the winner of the Power of Veto.
The Power of Veto Meeting
The winner of the Power of Veto is called to the Diary Room, where they are briefed on the procedures of the Power of Veto meeting. The Veto holder then proceeds to the Memory Wall, retrieves the Veto, and studies the portraits of all the remaining houseguests as he or she finalizes his or her decision. The Veto holder then calls in the remaining houseguests who await the meeting in the backyard. The houseguests take their respective seats, either on the couches or on the Nomination Block. The Veto holder begins the meeting by explaining what powers the Veto holds and then asks the nominees to make a final plea, if they so desire, to try and convince the Veto holder to use the Veto on them. Once the nominees have made their speeches, the Veto holder makes his or her decision. If the holder chooses to use the Veto, he or she places the Veto around the neck of the nominee he or she has chosen to save. At this point, the Veto holder takes a seat, and the Head of Household stands and chooses a replacement nominee. In Big Brother 15 and Big Brother 18, if the holder used the Veto on the MVP nominee/Roadkill nominee, the MVP/Roadkill winner would secretly nominate the replacement. In Big Brother: Over The Top and Big Brother 19, if the holder used the Veto on America's Nominee/the Temptation nominee, there would be no replacement nominee, leaving only the HOH's two nominees on the block come eviction night. If the Veto is not used, the holder places it in a box on the coffee table and closes it shut. After all the decisions are made, the Veto holder adjourns the meeting.
For more information, click here.
In Big Brother 19 (UK) it was known as the Gamechanger Competition. Six people would participate including the nominees and the housemate with the most 'Big Coins'. The leading Big Coin housemate would also pick more housemates to participate to make up the numbers to six if necessary. The winner of the Gamechanger Task wins the ability to save any of the nominees from eviction, although they can opt not to use it if they so wish.
List of Power of Veto Competitions
|Big Brother (US) Power of Veto Winners|
|"An Offer You Can't Refuse"||Danielle|
|"A Slippery Proposition"||Gerry|
|"Big Brother Charm School"||Amy|
|"Laser Labyrinth"||Marcellas (Golden)|
|"Snake in the Grass"||Robert|
|"An Offer You Can't Refuse"||Jee|
|"Where in the World is Jun?"||Alison|
|"Final Veto"||Alison (Diamond)|
|"Snag the Veto"||Jase|
|"Bluff Me A Veto"||Nakomis|
|"This Little Piggy Won The Veto"||Jase|
|"Pop Goes The Veto"||Drew|
|"A Very Veto Christmas"||Adria|
|"Morph 'O' Matic"||Adria|
|"Ice Ice Veto"||Karen|
|"Socket To Me"||Michael|
|"High and Dry"||James|
|"A Lotta Piñata"||James|
|"Coast for the Most"||Rachel|
|"Goal For It"||Janelle|
|"Get Your Pairings"||James|
|"Roll Me A Veto"||Maggie|
|"Morph 'O' Matic"||Janelle|
|"The Missing Link"||Ivette|
|7||"One Man's Trash is Another Man's Veto"||Janelle|
|"Big Brother Golf Classic"||Erika|
|"How Bad Do You Want It?"||George|
|"Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Veto"||Danielle|
|"Gnome is Where the Veto Is"||James|
|"Voo Doo Dolls"||Janelle|
|"I'm Knots About Veto"||Erika|
|"When The Stars Align"||Janelle|
|8||"Hide and Seek Veto"||Daniele|
|"Vincent Van Veto"||Jameka|
|"The Numbers Don't Lie"||Jen|
|"Shot for Shot"||Dick|
|"Big Brother Speedway"||Daniele|
|"Big Brother Decoder"||Daniele|
|9||"In Sickness and in Health"||Matt & Natalie|
|"Communication Breakdown"||Joshuah & Sharon|
|"Cupid is as Cupid Does"||Matt & Natalie|
|"Color of Veto"||Chelsia|
|"Trapped in the Cage"||James|
|"Big Brother Boardwalk"||James|
|"Big Brother Derby"||Ryan|
|10||"Sweet Dreams, Honey"||Jessie|
|"License to Veto"||Michelle|
|"The Garden of Veto"||Keesha|
|"Big Brother Slapshot"||Jerry|
|"Cry Me a Veto"||Jerry|
|"One Giant Leap"||Memphis|
|"Veto in a Haystack"||Dan|
|"Rock a Bye Veto"||Memphis|
|"Stairway to Veto"||Memphis|
|11||"Pop Goes the Veto!"||Russell|
|"The Big Brother Mint"||Jeff|
|"When Pigs Fly"||Michele|
|"Vini Vidi Veto"||Michele|
|"Before or After"||Jordan|
|"Let's Get Bananas"||Jeff|
|"Veto Block Party"||Kevin|
|12||"Cinco de Mayo(nnaise)"||Brendon|
|"Big Brother Stockades"||Britney|
|"Veto of Fortune"||Brendon|
|"The Wizards of Pinball"||Britney|
|"Pandora's Box"||Matt (Diamond)|
|"Ready Set Zing!"||Ragan|
|"Big Brother Zoo"||Brendon|
|"Before or After"||Ragan|
|"OTEV the Broadway Clam"||Enzo|
|"Big Brother Marquee"||Hayden|
|13||"Faster Than a Speeding Veto"||Brendon & Rachel (Dual)|
|"Big Brother Candystore"||Dominic|
|"Big Brother Odyssey"||Jeff|
|"Big Brother Cornhole"||Adam|
|"Bride of Zingbot"||Jeff|
|"Duo Do Over"||Rachel|
|"Big Brother Jukebox"||Porsche|
|"Field of Veto"||Danielle|
|"Son of Zingbot"||Frank|
|"Somewhere Over the Veto"||Frank|
|"Pandora's Crane Game"||Ian (Golden Ball)|
|"OTEV the Absent Minded Alien"||Dan|
|"Swimming With Sharks"||Ian|
|15||"The American Baking Competition"||McCrae|
|"In the Balance"||Jeremy|
|"Keeping Up with the Joneses"||Kaitlin|
|"Big Brother Election"||Elissa|
|"Back in Time"||Spencer|
|"BB 'B' Movie"||Andy|
|"OTEV the Brokenhearted Beaver"||Elissa|
|"Baby Zingbot's Birthday"||Amanda|
|"Friendly Neighborhood Veto"||McCrae|
|"Web of Flies"||Andy|
|"Big Brother Galaxy"||Devin|
|"Best of Duck"||Donny|
|"OTEV the Pissed-Off Penguin"||Zach|
|"BBB Sting Operation"||Cody|
|"BB Blast, Inc."||Christine|
|"Mazed And Confused"||Frankie|
|"BB Freakshow: Rewind"||Cody|
|"Stalking the Veto"||Cody|
|"Gronk and Roll"||John|
|"Saved by the Smell"||Vanessa|
|"Game of Throws"||James|
|"OTEV the Rockin' Roll"||Liz|
|"Hide and Go Veto"||James|
|"Life in Pieces"||John|
|"OTEV the Dopest DJ"||Michelle|
|"Ready, Set, Woah!"||Paulie|
|"Hide and Go Veto"||Paulie|
|"Zingbot For President"||Victor|
|"BB Storm Watch"||Paul|
|"Santa's Little Counters"||Nicole|
|"Take A Crack At Being Mac"||Corey|
|"Cover Your Bases"||Paul|
|"Veto Fore Sale"||Shane|
|"Fitting In"||Alex & Justin (Double)|
|"Wall of Shame"||Morgan|
|"The Haunting of Clementine O'Grady"||Danielle|
|"Balancing of Power"||Jason|
|"America's Care Package"||Morgan|
|19||"Fin to Win"||Alex|
|"Path of Least Resistance"||Paul|
|"Temple of Temptation"||Jason|
|"BB Juicy Blast"||Jessica|
|"Under the Weather"||Paul|
|"OTEV the Possessed Piglet"||Mark|
|"BB Adventure Tours"||Matthew|
|"Kenya Solve It?"||Mark|
|"Home Zing Home"||Jason|
|"Hide and Go Veto"||Jason|
|"Punch, Slap, Kick"||Paul|
|"Back to the Veto"||Paul|
|CBB1||"The Four Sneezins Spiritual Spa"||Shannon|
|"Now You Sea It"||Marissa|
|"Dining in the Dark"||James|
|"Invitation Only"||Ross (VIP)|
|"BB Action Figures"||Ariadna|
|"Get Your Story Straight"||Ross|
|"Mamma Mia Madness"||Scottie|
|"Chop, Bonk, Spank"||Faysal|
|"Boom Power Trip"||Angela|
|"OTEV the Sneezy Skunk"||Tyler|
|"Mission to Planet Veto"||Kaycee|
|"Control Your Emoji"||Kaycee|
|"Block and Roll"||Angela|
|"Your Maze are Numbered"||Kaycee|
|"Down to the Wires"||Kaycee|
|Big Brother Canada Power of Veto Winners|
|"Oh, Snow You Didn't!"||Gary|
|"Big Brother Bonspiel"||Alec|
|"Kid At A Candy Store"||Emmett|
|"Build A Demon"||Andrew|
|"Bridge To Veto"||Peter|
|"You've Got Mail"||Peter|
|"Sleep Tight With The POV"||Andrew|
|"The Price Of Veto"||Gary|
|"Big Brother Break-In"||Emmett|
|"Nutcracker (or Nuts to That)"||Ika|
|"Big Brother Airlines"||Jon|
|"Secret Room"||Allison (Secret)|
|"Dumpster Diving for Day Old Doughnuts"||Arlie|
|"Get Packing for the POV"||Jon|
|"Big Brother STAMPede"||Neda|
|3||"V is for Veto"||Sindy|
|"Game, Set, Match"||Bruno (Double)|
|"Big Brother Concentration"||Godfrey|
|"Delivering the Goods"||Kevin|
|"Big Brother Workshop"||Bruno|
|"Pin It to Win It"||Sarah|
|"Shomi the Veto"||Ashleigh|
|"Pit Stop to Veto"||Ashleigh|
|"Fast Track to Finale"||Ashleigh|
|4||"What the Shell?"||Nick (& Phil)|
|"Flip It to Win"||Christine|
|"Ace in the Hole"||Dallas|
|"Slow Roller"||Nick (& Phil)|
|"End of the Rainbow"||Ramsey|
|"Who Can You Beat?"||Jared|
|"Six Blind Mice"||Jared|
|"The Price of POV"||(Nick &) Phil|
|"Name That Speech"||Cassandra|
|"Movin' Out"||Nick (& Phil)|
|5||"Me Want Veto"||Bruno|
|"Runway to Veto"||William|
|"Highway to Spell"||Neda|
|"Flip It to Win"||Kevin|
|"Wired for Veto"||Jackie|
|"Out of Orbit"||Demetres|
|"Black Hole Veto"||William (Secret)|
|"100 Minutes of Heaven"||William|
|"Off the Blocks"||Kevin|
|"The Down Under"||Kevin|
|6||"Game of Inches"||Johnny|
|"Fresh Off the Block"||Hamza|
|"Big Brother Pinball"||Ryan|
|"Delivering the Goods"||Johnny|
|"Drawbridge to Veto"||Kaela|
|"Stick it to Me"||Kaela|
|"Stuck in the Past"||Kaela|
United States & Canada
- The first ever Power of Veto winner in Big Brother history was Gerry Lancaster.
- Gerry Lancaster also became the first houseguest to use the POV, while Danielle Reyes (first female to win the PoV) is the first PoV winner not to use it.
- Jason Guy is the first male to win HOH and POV in the same week; Adria Klein is the first female to win HOH and POV in the same week.
- Janelle Pierzina was the first HOH to veto one of her own nominations.
- Marcellas Reynolds won the first ever Golden Power of Veto.
- Marcellas is also the first person not to use the Golden Power of Veto, despite being on the block.
- He went home.
- Dana Varela is the first female to win the Golden Power of Veto.
- Marcellas is also the first person not to use the Golden Power of Veto, despite being on the block.
- Big Brother 3, Big Brother 15, and Big Brother Canada 2 are currently the only seasons not to feature one houseguest winning the POV twice in a row.
- Alison Irwin is the first female houseguest to veto herself; Jase Wirey is the first male houseguest to veto himself.
- Alison Irwin also won the first ever Diamond Power of Veto.
- Matt Hoffman was the first houseguest to win a Power of Veto through Pandora's Box, having been awarded the Diamond Power of Veto during his second reign as HOH.
- He is also the first male to hold the Diamond Power of Veto.
- The most consecutive Power of Veto wins is 3. This record is held by James Zinkand (Big Brother 9), Shane Meaney and Frank Eudy, (Big Brother 14), Kaycee Clark (Big Brother 20), Ashleigh Wood (Big Brother Canada 3), Kevin Martin (Big Brother Canada 5), and Kaela Grant (Big Brother Canada 6).
- The most Power of Veto wins in a single season is 5, held by Janelle Pierzina (Big Brother: All-Stars), Daniele Donato (Big Brother 8), Paul Abrahamian (Big Brother 19) and Kaycee Clark (Big Brother 20).
- All of them (except Janelle made final 2.
- Kaycee is the only won to win the game.
- The record for second most POVs won by a male in a single season is 4, held by James Rhine (Big Brother 6), Shane Meaney (Big Brother 14), John McGuire (Big Brother 17), and Kevin Martin (Big Brother Canada 5).
- If Nick and Phil Paquette's Vetos are counted as one, they would tie the record of 4 wins as well.
- Paul Abrahamian has won the most Power of Veto competitions in total, with 8 wins over two seasons. Janelle Pierzina has won the most POV competitions in total for a female, with 7 POVs over two seasons (she won no POVs in her third season).
- Kaycee Clark holds the record for most Veto competition wins by a winner with 5. Kevin Martin is in second with 4, and Jon Pardy and Nick Paquette are tied for third with 3.
- If Nick & Phil Paquette's wins are counted as one, then they also tie with Kevin for second most Vetos won as a winner with 4 wins.
- Up until Big Brother 20, no one in BBUS has won the game with more than 2 PoV's.
- Dan Gheesling, Rachel Reilly, Ian Terry, Andy Herren, Steve Moses, Nicole Franzel, and Morgan Willett all hold the record for the second most POVs won by a winner in the American version with 2.
- Memphis Garrett, Cody Calafiore, Paul Abrahamian, Jason Roy, Ross Mathews, and Tyler Crispen all won 3 POVs and made the final two, but got second place. Daniele Donato and Paul won 5 PoVs in Big Brother 8 and 19 respectively and both got second place.
- In the civilian seasons of Big Brother, HouseGuests who have gone on to win the Week 2 or Week 3 POV have never gone on to win the game.
- Only five HouseGuests that won the Week 2 Veto made it to final 2 (Danielle Reyes, Erika Landin, Daniele Donato, Paul Abrahamian, and Tyler Crispen.
- Marissa Jaret Winokur is the only HouseGuest to win the Week 2 Veto and by extension, win the game.
- The Week 3 veto winner has never made final 3. Only Nakomis Dedmon, Keesha Smith, Michele Noonan, Shane Meaney, John McGuire and Justin Duncan made it to final 4.
- In the American version up until Big Brother 20, HouseGuests who won 2 PoV's in a row have never won the game.
- Derrick Levasseur, Jillian MacLaughlin, and Paras Atashnak are the only winners never to win a Power Of Veto competition and go on to win the game while the POV existed.
- Week 7 of Big Brother 14, as well as a 2 week period in Big Brother Canada 2 (which included a double eviction), mark the only times in Big Brother history when two houseguests have held Golden Powers of Veto that were not won in the same competition.
- In Big Brother 14, Ian Terry received the Golden Ball of Veto due to a Pandora's Box Twist, while Jenn Arroyo won the Golden Power of Veto in the POV competition.
- In Big Brother Canada 2, Allison White found the Secret Power of Veto in the War Room, while the current houseguests won the Golden Power of Veto in the weekly POV competition. Allison held her secret Veto for two weeks and three POV competitions (she held the power during a double eviction).
- In Big Brother 12, Matt Hoffman and Ragan Fox both held Vetos not won in the same competition. However, both were not Golden Powers of Vetos with Matt possessing the Diamond Power of Veto via Pandora's Box.
|Power of Veto Variations|
|Black Hole • Boomerang • Diamond • Forced • Golden • Golden Ball • Secret • Silver|
|Big Brother Competitions|
|Battle Back • BOTB • Coaches • Food • Hacker • Have/Have-Not • HOH • HTR • Immunity • Luxury • Power Couple • Re-Entry • Roadkill • Temptation • Veto|