Big Brother 13 is the thirteenth edition of the popular American reality show Big Brother. On July 2, 2011 eight new and six returning houseguests moved into the Big Brother House in California. The season aired from July 7, 2011 to September 14, 2011.
The thirteenth season of Big Brother has some similarities to previous seasons, but also has some major gameplay changes. Initially, eight new houseguests were sent into the house. They were informed that they had to choose a partner and pair up. Later, six former Big Brother contestants in pre-formed duos entered the house. Each week the houseguests compete to become the Head of Household who, along with their partner, is immune from eviction. The HOH must also nominate another duo for eviction. Later in the week a Power of Veto competition is held, and then both members of the duo can be removed from threat of eviction and the HOH must name another nominee.
- Duos: Shortly after entering the house, Julie informed the eight new houseguests that they had to pick a partner to compete in the game alongside. If either person won HOH, both members would be safe from nomination. Conversely, the HOH could only nominate an entire duo. The POV, if used, would remove an entire duo, causing the HOH to have to nominate another duo. The partners were:
- Adam Poch and Dominic Briones
- Cassi Colvin and Shelly Moore
- Kalia Booker and Lawon Exum
- Keith Henderson and Porsche Briggs
- Dynamic Duos: In addition to the eight new houseguests, three duos from past seasons returned to the game and attempt to become the champion of another edition of Big Brother. The Dynamic Duos were:
- Brendon Villegas and Rachel Reilly (Big Brother 12)
- Daniele Donato and Dick Donato (Big Brother 8)
- Jeff Schroeder and Jordan Lloyd (Big Brother 11)
- Golden Key: Because the houseguests are competing in duos, once a member of a duo is evicted, the other member then is awarded a Golden Key, which grants them immunity until there are ten houseguests remaining. They will not be allowed to participate in any challenges, but will be allowed to vote.
- Previously Evicted House Guest: During the 5th week of Big Brother 13, it was revealed to the house guests that the next person evicted would have a chance to come back into the house. The first four evicted house guests would also have a chance to come back. America was allowed to vote for one of the first four evicted houseguests and the one with the most votes would compete against the next evicted houseguest to go back into the house.
- Pandora's Box: Pandora's Box returned this season, which; when opened either unleashed a reward or a punishment for either house or the HOH that opened it.
|Adam & Dominic||Cassi & Shelly||Lawon & Kalia||Porsche & Keith|
|Brendon & Rachel||Daniele & Dick||Jeff & Jordan|
See pictures of the Big Brother 13 House gallery.
|Week 1||Week 2||Week 3||Week 4||Week 5||Week 6||Week 7||Week 8||Week 9||Week 10|
|Day 49||Day 55||Day 63||Day 68||Day 75||Finale|
|Daniele||Rachel|| Rep||Kalia|| ||Porsche|
|B||Jordan||Keith||Dominic|| Rep||Lawon||Brendon||Daniele||Rachel|| Vetoed|
|A||Shelly||Keith|| Rep||Dominic||Brendon||Lawon||Kalia||Jeff|| Rep|| ||Rachel|
|Daniele||Keith||Cassi||Adam||Lawon|| Rep|| ||Porsche|
|Brendon||Keith||Cassi||Dominic|| || Rep|| ||Rachel|
|Lawon||Porsche||Cassi||Dominic||Brendon|| Rep||Eliminated|| |
|Cassi||Porsche|| Rep|| |
|Key:||Nominated||Rep: Replacement Nominee||POV Holder||Golden Key Holder||Partner Immunity||Re-Entry Result||HOH||Jury Member||Evicted||Walked|
- Note: Brendon was evicted for Week 5 before winning his way back into the house.
- Note: Due to a Pandora's Box opening on Week 8, the duos were temporarily brought back.
- + signifies HOH (or HOH partner) for the week, thus automatic "Have" rights.
- GK signifies that this player holds a golden key and did not compete in this competition.
- The Have/Have-Not Competition was replaced with a luxury competition on Week 3 to help promote the new CBS show, Same Name.
- Brendon was evicted in Week 4 and did not compete in any of the competitions in Week 5. He was brought back into the game in Week 6, while Lawon departed.
- There was no Have/Have-Not Competition Week 6.
- There were no Have/Have-Not Competitions after Week 7.
After the eight new house guests moved into the house, they were informed by Julie that they had to partner up. After quickly creating duos, they were informed more people would be joining the game. Later, three former "Dynamic Duos" returned to the house, joining the game. At the HOH competition, Rachel Reilly won, providing immunity to Brendon Villegas. Rachel nominated the duo Keith Henderson and Porsche Briggs. Just before the POV competition, Rachel was called into the diary room and was alerted that Dick Donato had left the house. Dick later revealed in an interview with People that when the producers called him into the Diary Room on Day 6, though the preliminary tests were inconclusive, he was informed that there was a possibility that he was HIV-positive; this was later found to be the case. In exchange, Daniele Donato was given the first golden key. At the POV competition, Rachel and Brendon won the POV. Both Keith Henderson and Porsche Briggs were planning on throwing the competition. Rachel chose to keep her nominations the same. At the eviction, Keith was evicted from the house. Porsche remained safe and was given a golden key.
After the live eviction, the remaining house guests made their way to the backyard to play for HOH. Jordan Lloyd won this competition, making Jeff Schroeder immune from eviction. Rachel Reilly pushed for Jordan to nominate Cassi Colvin and Shelly Moore. Jordan struggled with who to nominate but eventually nominated Adam Poch and Dominic Briones. At the POV competition, Dominic won and removed himself and his duo partner from the chopping block, forcing Jordan to choose a new duo to nominate, Cassi Colvin and Shelly Moore. At the eviction ceremony, Cassi was voted out of the house while Shelly was given a golden key.
At the third HOH competition, Rachel Reilly, once again, won Head of Household and gave immunity to Brendon Villegas. As each of the remaining duos came forward to Brendon and Rachel to secure their safety, Daniele Donato pushed to pit Brendon and Rachel against Jeff Schroeder and Jordan Lloyd to get one of them out of the house. Rachel and Brendon thought it was too early to break their alliance. The Have/Have-Not competition did not happen this week and was replaced with a luxury competition where the house guests were given clues to give a name to a strange man that had come into the house. All house guests were allowed to play, including those with Golden Keys. Jordan won this competition, naming the strange man correctly as David Hasselhoff. At the nomination ceremony, Rachel nominated Adam Poch and Dominic Briones. At the POV competition, Brendon and Rachel, Adam and Dominic, and Jeff and Jordan were chosen to play for POV this week. Brendon won this competition. He did not use the Veto and the nominations remained the same. Jeff Schroeder and Jordan Lloyd caught wind of Dominic and Daniele's betrayal of the Veterans alliance, causing an uproar in the house. At the eviction ceremony, Dominic was voted out of the house by a vote of 7-1. Adam was not given a golden key as the game was returned to 'Everybody for Themselves'. Everybody is back in the game.
At the fourth HOH competition, Daniele Donato won. Rachel Reilly very quietly handed over the keys to the HOH room, reluctantly accepting the fact that she might be going home this week. It was almost clear that Daniele was obviously going to nominate the Veterans, and everyone was pretty sure it was going to be Brendon Villegas and Rachel Reilly. After the two were indeed nominated at the nomination ceremony, Brendon assured Rachel that she wasn't going home and if he won POV, he would take her off the block. At the veto competition, for the third time this season, Brendon won the Veto. As promised, he took Rachel off the block, which steered Daniele into nominating Jordan in place of Rachel. At the live eviction, Brendon was evicted from the house by a vote of 5-2.
At the fifth HOH competition this season, Kalia Booker won her first HOH, and also the first Newbie HOH. At the nomination ceremony, Kalia nominated Jeff Schroeder and Rachel Reilly for eviction. People chosen to play POV were Adam, Shelly, Kalia, Rachel, Jeff, and Jordan. At the POV competition, Jeff won his first POV this season. Jeff took himself off the block for eviction and Kalia put up Lawon Exum in his place, hoping to still get Rachel out of the house. In the end, Lawon was evicted from the house by a vote of 6-0. Since Lawon was the most recent evicted house guest, he had a chance to come back into the house by competing against the America's Vote player, Brendon. Brendon won this competition, earning his way back into the house.
At the HOH competition after Brendon came back into the house, Daniele won HOH for the second time this season. After making a one-week deal with both Brendon and Rachel, Daniele nominated Shelly and Adam. The players chosen to play for Veto were Daniele, Shelly, Adam, Jeff, Jordan, and Kalia. Adam won the Veto. When Adam took himself off the block, HOH Daniele put up Brendon in his place, breaking the deal that she had previously made with both Brendon and Rachel and backdooring Brendon. Brendon was evicted by a vote of 5-1.
At the seventh Head of Household competition this season, the house guests were forced to carry laundry detergent back and forth across a slippery surface. Jeff ultimately won, putting the Veterans back into power for the week. At the nomination ceremony, Jeff put up Porsche and Kalia, two of Daniele's closest allies. Jeff also won the POV this week, earning him a chance to change his nominations. He took up this chance and nominated Daniele: throwing the deal he had made earlier that week with her out the window. Daniele was evicted from the Big Brother house by a vote of 3-2.
Immediately before Daniele's eviction, the house guests were informed that it was a double eviction week. After Daniele left, the house guests went outside to play for HOH. Kalia won this competition, beating Jordan. She was forced to immediately nominate Jeff and Rachel, keeping true to her promise to Daniele. At the Veto competition, Porsche won, earning her a chance to change Kalia's nominations. Porsche chose not to use the Veto on either Jeff or Rachel. Jeff was also evicted by a 3-2 vote.
After the Double Eviction, the houseguests went outside to play for the next HOH. Porsche won this competition and received the key to the HOH room. When she wasn't allowed to open her HOH room right away, she immediately thought there would be a Pandora's Box, and she was right. She opened the box, earning herself and one other person $5,000 dollars, but the house was thrown back into duos of Adam and Shelly, Porsche and Kalia, and Rachel and Jordan. Porsche nominated Rachel and Jordan for eviction, as a way of continuing to eliminate the Veterans alliance. But Rachel won the Power of Veto, earning a chance to remove herself and Jordan from the block, causing Porsche to immediately nominate Adam and Shelly. Shelly was evicted from the Big Brother House by a vote of 2-1.
When Shelly left the Big Brother house, the houseguests went outside to play for HOH. Rachel won this competition and also earned a Pandora's Box. She opened the box, earning a few minutes with previous house guest, Jessie Godderz, while the rest of the house got a visit from Tori Spelling and some new clothes. Rachel nominated Porsche and Kalia for eviction. At the veto competition, Adam Poch won the POV. At the veto meeting Adam chose to leave the nominations the same. Kalia was evicted from the house in a 2-1 vote.
After Kalia was evicted from the Big Brother house, the houseguests went outside to play for HOH. Adam won this competition and received the key to the HOH room. Adam nominated Porsche and Jordan for eviction, hoping that Porsche would be the one to be evicted. At the Veto competition, Porsche won the POV. At the veto meeting Porsche decided to remove herself from the block. Porsche cast the sole vote to evict and chose Jordan.
The final HOH competition is played out in three challenges, to give the remaining houseguests a fair shot at securing a place in the final two. During the first endurance HOH competition, Rachel Reilly won an endurance challenge. Days later, Porsche Briggs beat Adam Poch in a memory recognition challenge, meaning Adam was nominated. At the live HOH part 3 competition, Rachel beat Porsche in a personality guessing quiz, claiming the final HOH. She then chose to evict Adam.
Other Notable Prizes
- Jordan Lloyd, Jeff Schroeder, Kalia Booker, and Shelly Moore won an advanced screening of the new CBS series, Same Name. Jordan initially won and she chose Jeff, Kalia and Shelly to join her.
- Jeff Schroeder won $10,000 playing for HOH during 'Big Brother Slalom'.
- Jeff Schroeder won $5,000, Kalia won a Caribbean Vacation, and Shelly won a phone call home playing for POV during 'Big Brother Corn Toss'.
- Adam Poch was forced to wear an elf costume for one week after 'Big Brother Slalom'.
- Jordan was forced to wear the "Humilitard" and Shelly got 24 hours of solitary confinement after the POV competition 'Big Brother Corn Toss'.
- Daniele Donato was the first contestant ever to earn a golden key.
- Although this was not the first season to have duos, it had completely different rules than previous seasons with this twist.
- This is the first season to feature both returning players from previous seasons as well as a twist to bring back a HouseGuest that was previously evicted during the current season, followed by Big Brother 18 and Big Brother 19.
- This season features the smallest number of new houseguests, with only 8.
- This is the fifth season to have two female finalists. The other seasons were Big Brother 3, Big Brother 4, Big Brother 6 and Big Brother 11.
- This is the first season with 2 returning winners.
- This was the first season to feature five women in the final 6.
- This is the first season where a returning player wins against a new player.
- This is the fourth season to have females win four (or more) HOHs in a row. It was preceded by Big Brother 5, Big Brother 8 and Big Brother 10. It would later be followed by Big Brother 17, Big Brother: Over The Top and Big Brother 20.
- This was the first season where the first six HoH competitions were won by women.
- For this specific season, this occurred weeks 1 through 6.
- In this case, Rachel (twice), Jordan, Daniele (twice), and Kalia all won the first six HOHs respectively.
- This was the first season where the first six HoH competitions were won by women.
- The women won 10 out of the 12 HoH competitions
- This season has the fewest unanimous votes, with only 2 (excluding sole votes).
|United States Seasons|
|English||Broadcast||1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22|
|Celebrity||1 · 2|
|Big Brother Seasons|