BB Comics is a recurring Power of Veto competition. This competition is famous for featuring comic book covers with houseguests drawn as superheroes. It requires mainly attention to detail while having a physical component to it as well.
One at a time, players must climb a ladder and zip line slowly to view a window with comic books situated behind them. Down below, the players must precisely replicate the comics in order. There are, however, fake comic books in the pile of comics to choose from, so players have to be careful.
The player who gets all the comic books in the correct spot with the quickest time wins the PoV.
Usually, there is a time limit of 35 minutes, upped to 45 in Big Brother 19 (US). If houseguest's time runs out, they are forced to stop and their result equals to this time limit.
Starting from Big Brother 20 (US), the format was changed a bit. The spot the difference aspect remained, but it involved looking at four screens that cycled through all the comics electronically, and then going out into the field and knocking down cardboard cutouts of the comic characters that didn't match the original picture. The physical aspect was also upgraded, with the zip line and drop still remaining, but with the addition of a balance beam as well. The competition was still timed, and so it is still possible for a houseguest to time out.
The competition first appeared on Big Brother 16 (US). Christine Brecht was the winner and it was her first individual win of the summer. Christine's time was 11 minutes 50 seconds. Nicole Franzel came in second and was 30 seconds behind Christine. Brecht's result was still the fastest after four times this competition was played, with Franzel's being the second best. The worst result was also achieved during this appearance of BB Comics when Victoria Rafaeli was not able to finish the task in 35 minutes.
BB Comics returned on Big Brother 17 (US). Eventual winner Steve Moses won this competition claiming his second PoV of the season. Steve's time was 13 minutes 57 seconds. This appearance of the competition had more comic book covers than every other one since Big Brother 17 had more houseguests.
The competition showed up again on Big Brother 18 (US). Nicole Franzel played it for a second time and this time she won. Nicole completed the task in 13 minutes 55 seconds which was more than four minutes better than everybody else that season. James Huling didn't manage to finish the task in time repeating Victoria's failure during Big Brother 16.
For Big Brother 19 (US) the entire first half of the 11th week was based on BB Comics, and many past HouseGuests reunited as their comic book characters for a short film called "The Revengers." Any Revengers who did not have comics before this season had their comics and characters made for this one. Like Big Brother 17, this appearance would have featured more comics than the others due to the larger number of houseguests on the season, however due to Megan Lowder walking from the game, she did not receive a comic. Paul Abrahamian won this competition with a time of 12 minutes and 10 seconds. Kevin Schlehuber couldn't finish in time (45 minutes), and so he timed out just like James and Victoria.
The competition returned again for Big Brother 20 (US), but in a slightly different format. The spot the difference aspect remained, but the physical portion of the competition was upgraded from just a zip line and a huge drop, with the addition of a balance beam. Kaycee Clark ended up winning her third PoV in a row. Kaycee gave the new competition format a new record of 2 minutes and 17 seconds, beating Christine's time in the original format by almost 12 minutes.
The original format returned once more on the All-Star season of Big Brother 22 (US), where Nicole Franzel played the competition for the third time and won it for the second, with a time of 11 minutes and 21 seconds, surpassing Chirstine's record but not Nicole Anthony's.
Clash of the Comics
Also on Big Brother 22 (US), a Luxury Competition called "Clash of the Comics" was featured during the Final Four. The remaining houseguests would draft the comic characters of any four houseguests from the season, including themselves if they choose to do so, but each houseguest could only be chosen once. Once each houseguest had their team of four, the comic characters battled out in random, predetermined matches, and whoever had the last character(s) standing would win $10,000. Characters on the same team could still face each other. It came down to Nicole Franzel's two characters ("Da'Dream" and "Mem-FIST" VS Cody Calafiore's self character "The Cali-Fury". Da'Dream defeated The Cali-fury, while Mem-FIST then defeated Da'Dream, securing Nicole the win in this competition as well.
List of BB Comics Competitions
|Season||Week||Competition Variant||Name Variant||Winner|
|16||6||Power of Veto||"BB Comics"|
The winners of this competition have their names in bold. Houseguests who were evicted when this competition took place have their names in italics.
- The comics were drawn by a variety of artists, including: Josh Adams, Michael Atiyeh, Jeff Austin, Michael Borkowski, Sergio Cariello, Frank Cuonzo, Steven Gordon, Ross Hughes, Chris Kennett, Henry Liao, Joe Martino, Pop Mhan, Robb Miller, Tom Ngyuen, Andy Smith, and Brad Vancata.
- As of Big Brother 22 (US), there are 106 houseguests that have a comic design so far and 120 comic designs overall.
- Da'Vonne Rogers and Nicole Franzel are the only houseguests to have three different comics, while James Huling, Paul Abrahamian, Bayleigh Dayton, Christmas Abbott, Cody Calafiore, David Alexander, Nicole Anthony and Tyler Crispen are the only houseguests to have two different comic books, due to them being Returning Players, all of which are based on their original ones. James and Paul are the only two who did not play on Big Brother 22 (US).
- Dan Gheesling, Jessie Godderz, Jase Wirey, Jordan Lloyd and Rachel Reilly are the only houseguests to get comic books on seasons they did not compete in, due to Dan and Jessie returning for the "BB Comics - Revengers" themed week in Big Brother 19 (US), while Jase, Jordan and Rachel's comics appeared in the Comic Room in Big Brother 22 (US).
- The BB19 Revengers are the only houseguests with a shared team comic book.
- The Zingbot is the only non-houseguest to receive a comic, having one made for its 3000 form during Big Brother 17 (US).
- Due to her walking from the game, Megan Lowder is the first and currently only houseguest not to get a comic since the competition was introduced.
- Christine, Steve, and Nicole F (on BB18) all won two POVs during the seasons they won this competition on.
- Coincidentally, all 3 wore glasses.
- Nicole F is the only person to play this competition thrice, while Paul is the only person to play this competition twice. Coincidentally, they were also the Final Two of Big Brother 18 (US).
- They both got second place in this competition in their first seasons and won it in their second, with Nicole winning it on her third as well.
- Nicole is the only person to win this competition twice, and the only person to ever beat her in this competition was Christine.
- James and Cody were both present for this competition on their original seasons, but weren't picked to play. Christmas was also present on her original season but had to sit out due to her injury. All three played on their second seasons.
- Frank Eudy is the first Returning Player to get their first comic in a subsequent season, as BB Comics debuted in Big Brother 16 (US), while Frank originally played on Big Brother 14 (US). He would be followed by Dani Briones, Enzo Palumbo, Ian Terry, Janelle Pierzina, Kaysar Ridha, Keesha Smith, Kevin Campbell and Memphis Garrett.
- Christine, Paul, Nicole A and Nicole F (BB22) are currently the only winners of this competition to not go on and win the season.
- Christine, Nicole A and Nicole F (BB22) are the only two people to win this competition and not make the Final Two, while Christine is the only person to win this competition and not make it to finale night.
- Both contestants named Nicole (Nicole Franzel and Nicole Anthony) who played this competition have won it, with Nicole F winning it twice.
- Nicole F, Brendon Villegas, Jeff Schroeder, Jordan, Rachel R, John McGuire, Cassi Colvin, Dominic Briones, Keith Henderson and Lawon Exum are the only houseguests to appear on another person's comic.
- Nicole appeared in Corey Brooks's "The Missile Toe" comic, standing under Corey's mistletoe, due to their showmance.
- Brendon, Jeff, Jordan and Rachel appeared in Cameron Heard's "The Super Fan" comic, being blown away by his fan hands.
- John appeared in Ramses Soto's "The Cosplayer" comic, as Ramses was disguised as John's "Dr. Drill" character, before pulling off a mask of John's face to reveal himself.
- Cassi, Dominic, Keith and Lawon appeared as a team in Dani's "The Regulator" comic, as she was named after their infamous season 13 alliance, The Regulators, with her joining the team after her marriage to Dominic.
- Nicole and John are the only people to have their own comics before appearing on someone else's. They are also the only people who did not compete on Big Brother 13 (US).
- Because of this, Nicole has appeared on the most comics with five, three of her own, Corey's comic and the Revengers comic.
- Big Brother Canada 8 had a superhero/comic book theme in a similar vain to BB Comics, including comic-style drawings of all 16 houseguests and host Arisa Cox. Those photos can be viewed on the season's page.
- Big Brother 22 (US) had a comic bedroom with former houseguests' comic portraits decorating the room. Those photos can be viewed here.
- So far, a woman has won this competition the most, with five seasons.