Aaryn Elizabeth Williams (née Gries) was a houseguest on Big Brother 15.
She was at the center of controversy inside and outside of the house due to comments made that were deemed as racist and homophobic, even being read back some of her comments during her eviction interview. Aaryn was also a huge competition threat, winning four Head of Household competitions and one Power of Veto throughout her time in the game. Despite having a large target on her back for the majority of the game, Aaryn managed to survive nine weeks before being evicted by a vote of 5-0. She placed 8th and was the fourth member of the jury.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Name: Aaryn Gries
Hometown: San Angelo, Texas.
Living: San Marcos, Texas
Occupation: College Student
Marital Status: Single
Three adjectives that describe you: Outgoing, driven and spontaneous.
Favorite Activities: Snowboarding, wakeboarding, traveling, working out, Zumba, crafting, decorating, planning events, attending festivals and meeting people. What do you think will be the most difficult part about living inside the “Big Brother” house?: Not knowing who is genuine and who isn’t, and realizing that my trusting nature could be my downfall.
Strategy for winning “Big Brother”: I think I will go into the game with the same mentality I go into life: only focusing on myself and what I need to do to make it through, but I’m sure there will be moments of weakness where I second guess myself. I will use my Psychology training as best as I can and try to be strategic.
What are you afraid of? People with evil or absent minds that hurt or deceive others.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? I am most proud of my ability to rise above disappointment and press on with a positive and peaceful mind. I am extremely proud that each day, no matter what happens, I do my best to look at every situation in a positive light. I can see my future clearly and I’m taking the right steps to reach my goals.
Finish this sentence: My life’s motto is… what you think about, you bring about.
What would you take into the house and why? My music, books by Rhonda Byrne and my cat, Pumpkin, because these three things help my peace of mind.
What would you do if “Big Brother” made you famous? I would be entirely grateful for Big Brother putting my dreams on fast-track, and I would never forget the experience.
Big Brother 15
On week 1, Aaryn quickly forms a close bond with David Girton, entering in to a flirtatious relationship. She also forms close bonds with GinaMarie Zimmerman, Kaitlin Barnaby and Jeremy McGuire. Aaryn begins targeting Elissa Slater after discovering that she is Rachel Reilly's sister, and votes to evict her later that week. Aaryn is shocked, however, when David is evicted instead of Elissa. Following David's eviction, Aaryn competes in the second HoH competition, the 'Big Brother BBQ' competition where she is paired with Jeremy. Her and Jeremy are crowned winners of the HoH competition, and have to decide between themselves who will become the second HoH. Jeremy allows Aaryn to take it, and Aaryn becomes the second HoH.
When told she has to choose four Have-Nots for the week, Aaryn selects Elissa alongside Helen Kim, Candice Stewart, and Andy Herren, believing that they had all voted to evict David. Still targeting Elissa, Aaryn nominates her for eviction alongside Helen, due to Helen being Elissa's closest ally in the house. Aaryn begins to cause lots of controversy due to several harsh and derogatory comments made by her, notably lots of racist and homophobic remarks. As a result, lots of houseguests begin to turn against her and side with Elissa. Aaryn is left shocked yet again when Elissa is able to survive eviction for the second time after winning the MVP vote and using it to backdoor Nick Uhas. Shortly after Nick's eviction, Helen wins the third HoH competition. Feeling vengeful against those who voted to keep Elissa, Aaryn decides to flip the mattress of Candice and Howard Overby, resulting in her arguing with Candice and several other house guests.
Aaryn then became nominated for eviction by Helen alongside her ally Kaitlin. However, they were both designated as pawns with the intention to backdoor Jeremy. The two girls went on to survive while Jeremy became eliminated. On week 4, Aaryn has been nominated yet again when Judd Daugherty wins the HoH, and she ends up becoming chosen for eviction alongside her only remaining allies in the game Kaitlin and GinaMarie. Fearing becoming evicted, Aaryn made a deal with Helen that if Helen kept her in the game, then Aaryn will throw the next HOH. Then Aaryn proposed another arrangement, suggesting that if they kept her in the game, then Aaryn would play for the next HOH. Helen took her up on the offer and told her to nominate Howard and Spencer Clawson for eviction. Aaryn accepted this deal, and Helen and her allies voted out Kaitlin instead.
Aaryn then went on to win the fifth HoH competition, 'Roulette Me Win'. She agrees to stick to the deal that she had made with Helen and a result, Aaryn nominates Howard and Spencer Clawson for eviction. When Spencer wins the PoV, Aaryn nominates Candice in his place, which Helen and her allies agree to because of Candice's close links with Howard. Howard is then evicted. On week 6, Aaryn is kept safe when her best friend in the house, GinaMarie, wins the HoH competition. Aaryn votes to evict Candice this week along with the rest of the house. Following Candice's eviction, it is revealed to the HouseGuests that there will be a double eviction that night. Aaryn then becomes HoH, and nominates Jessie Kowalski along with Spencer, believing them to be the biggest targets in the house. When Aaryn wins the PoV as well, however, she is pressured by Helen and Amanda Zuckerman to backdoor Judd. Aaryn goes along with this, and uses the POV on Jessie, putting Judd in her place. Judd is then evicted.
Following Judd's eviction, Amanda allows Aaryn to enter into her alliance with McCrae Olson and Andy, which they name the 3 A.M. alliance. The 3 A.M alliance are able to gain power in week 7 when Andy wins the HOH, and they were successful in getting rid of their main target, Jessie. Following Jessie's eviction, Aaryn goes on to win the 'Way Off Broadway' HOH competition, making this her fourth HOH win of the series. When the 3.A.M alliance discovers that Helen has been attempting to get Amanda evicted, she became the alliances main target, and Aaryn nominates her for eviction alongside Elissa. After Elissa wins the POV, Aaryn considers renominating Amanda following a big argument between the two, however, she decided against this and nominates Spencer instead. Helen is then evicted.
Following Helen's eviction, Elissa wins the next HOH and nominates Aaryn for eviction alongside her ally McCrae, as a result of their ongoing feud throughout the game. Shortly after, however, Elissa regrets this decision, deciding to target Amanda instead after realizing that she has been controlling the whole game. Elissa and Aaryn then team up to backdoor Amanda. However, their plan is ruined when Amanda wins the POV and uses it on McCrae. Andy is then renominated in his place. Spencer & Judd (who returned to the game this week) decide to evict Aaryn after entering into an alliance with Andy, and Amanda & McCrae also decide to evict Aaryn having been aligned with Andy longer. GinaMarie voted to evict Aaryn to go along with the rest of the house despite her close allegiance to her and Aaryn was then evicted in 8th place by a vote of 5-0, making her the fourth member of the jury. At the Final 2, Aaryn voted for GinaMarie to win instead of Andy.
Player History - Big Brother 15
|Week 3||HOH||Previous HOH|
|Week 6||HOH||Previous HOH|
|Week 7||HOH||Previous HOH|
|Week 9||HOH||Previous HOH|
|Week 9||Have/Have-Not Phase Over|
|Week 7||MVP Phase Over|
|Week||Position||Voted for||With Majority?|
|Finale||Jury Member||GinaMarie Zimmerman||No|
|Original Nominees||Post-Veto Nominees||Intended Target|
| Week 6|
Post Big Brother
- Aaryn got married in May 2015 to Nick Williams. GinaMarie Zimmerman, Jeremy McGuire, and Spencer Clawson also attended the reception.
- Aaryn gave birth to a baby girl named Skyla in June 2016.
- Aaryn gave birth to her second daughter named Adeline in November 2017.
- Aaryn gave birth to her third daughter named Reese in August 2019.
- A petition was created for Aaryn and GinaMarie Zimmerman to be expelled from the house due to racial and homophobic slurs directed towards Andy Herren, Candice Stewart, Helen Kim, and Howard Overby.
- It was later reported that Aaryn was dropped from two modeling agencies.
- Aaryn is the fastest Houseguest to win four Head of Household competitions, having won four out of the first 9 HOH competitions. She beat Janelle Pierzina, who only won four out of the first 10 HOH competitions.
- Aaryn is the first houseguest to be booed. She would later be followed by Amanda Zuckerman and Christine Brecht, and later on in Big Brother Canada by Neda Kalantar.
- Aaryn is tied with Andy Herren and McCrae Olson for the most competitions wins in Big Brother 15. They all won five competitions.
- Aaryn won the most competitions out of any female in Big Brother 15, with 5 (4 HoHs and 1 Power of Veto).
- Aaryn has the lowest place finish with anyone with 3 or more HOH wins, placing 8th.
- She also finished in the lowest place for anyone with 5 or more competition wins in a season.
- Aaryn and Elissa Slater are the only female houseguests in Big Brother 15 to win both an HOH and a POV at least once.
- Aaryn was the second houseguest (and only female) on Big Brother 15 to win HOH and POV in the same week following McCrae Olson (and later followed by Andy Herren).
- Aaryn was revealed to be Julie Chen's least favorite houseguest because of the racist remarks she made, especially those directed towards Helen Kim.
- She is the third woman in the history of the show to ever win 4 HoHs in a single season following Janelle Pierzina in Big Brother All-Stars and Rachel Reilly in Big Brother 13, and followed by Vanessa Rousso in Big Brother 17.
- Aaryn was the only houseguest in Big Brother 15 to go from being HOH and end up evicted the following week.
|Big Brother 15 House Guests|